Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Ultimate Reset: Day 1

Day 1, complete!  I am going to try and keep this brief because I feel like vegging out with some quality TV (LOL) but here are my thoughts on Day 1!  (See my overview and "unboxing" of the Reset here.)

The Good

Things for me today went on a pretty even keel.  The food was pretty tasty and satisfying, I felt fine - no aches and pains, just a mild headache (which is actually pretty normal for me unfortunately), and only a little bit of gastrointestinal "discomfort" early in the day.  I'm not sure what to attribute that to - if it was the Mineralize in my water, the other supplements, or just a fluke.  So not bad!  I also had lots of energy and don't really feel tired just yet (at 8:20 pm).  My husband, as of the last time I talked to him, was feeling kind of sickly - headache, body aches, nausea.  Poor guy!!  Between the both of us, I am the healthy eater, so I am not super surprised by this.  His main goal for the program is to break his food addiction, and he is well on his way!  I am very proud of him for weaning himself off caffeine, as recommended in the program guide.  I'm sure that will help him in the next few days!  As a side note, he is on second shift so that adds another dimension to our planning.  I have to cook all three meals by 2:30 pm so he can stay on schedule and take dinner to work.  He also packs his afternoon and evening supplements, which are Optimize, Alkalinize (which he has to drink the in the car before work!), and Soothe - along with his two BIG cups of water with Mineralize.
As for the food, the Microgreen Salad was by far the best thing I ate today, mainly because of the Creamy Garlic Dressing, AND I discovered I like jicama!  Very tasty! I also enjoyed the Miso Soup, but my husband gave that one a big thumbs down.  Too bad we will be having it a few more times this week!  He might skip it...  For the record, our breakfast was toast, eggs, and steamed spinach, and our dinner was baked salmon, baby potatoes, and steamed asparagus.  I did NOT prep a lot ahead of time for today - it just wasn't that "preppable".  Tomorrow's menu lends itself very well to prepping ahead so that makes me happy.  I will be getting some things together tonight to make our lives easier tomorrow.  :)

The "Bad"

There really weren't too many things that were bad about today - it's just an adjustment.  I feel like I spent the majority of my morning (and early afternoon) cooking, which I kind of did!  This would have been MUCH easier if Josh and I were on similar schedules but he is around 2 hours behind me, so it makes it tricky.  But still do-able!
Second thing, like I said, is that I did have a little "issue" with the bathroom this morning but it was short lived.
Third, Alkalinize.  Yep, it's pretty gross.  For those who don't know, it's a green powder you mix with water and drink (once a day).  It tastes a lot like salty grass, almost like spinach too.  It wasn't horrible, but not my favorite thing.  I did it with a small amount of water as a "shot", followed by a lemon wedge.  :)

Tips for week 1:  (I may add to this as I go on!)

  • Prep as much as you can the night before - cook your oatmeal, cut up veggies/fruits, make soup and dressings, cook rice/beans/quinoa/etc.  It doesn't seem like it will save all that much time but it truly does!  Just keep in mind that microwaving things is not advised on the Reset, so think about how you plan to reheat things.
  • Drink your water!  Whenever it tells you on the schedule to drink your Mineralize, don't go for the minimum of 12 oz.  Do at least 24 oz, and by the time your day is over, you'll have had a TON of water, which will help with detox, headaches, and joint/muscle pain, etc..
  • Realize that discomfort is temporary.  Headaches and pain is a sign that your body is detoxing - it's a good thing!  You also may notice some bloating at first, and here is a great explanation for the experts on why this happens:  
The bloating of week one typically comes from two instances:
- The body being overloaded with toxins. As a protective measure, until the body's filtration systems (liver, kidneys, skin, bladder, etc) are better able to handle the amount of toxins, it retains water.
- Previous bad habits of not hydrating properly. In this case, the body hoards water (similar to how it will store fat in starvation mode).
In both instances, drinking plenty of water will help. The more you drink, the more toxins your body is able to flush. When the toxins are not considered so much of a survival risk, the body will release the excess water. When the body is certain the good hydration practices will continue, it will release the retained water.
We highly recommend a gallon (minimum) of water per day, in week one. Consider drinking a gallon and a half, if you had a great amount of bad habits, prior to Reset.
          • Try to relax.  If you miss a supplement, take it when you remember it.  If you have a food slip-up, MOVE ON and keep going.  You have not ruined your efforts, so stay the course!
          • Try to wean off caffeine and sugars prior to starting the Reset, in order to make your experience easier.
          • You do NOT need to eat all of your food if you are full.  Practice conscious eating and stop when you have had enough.  The portions are just there in case you need them.  There are so many different types of people who do the Reset, from small to large, fit to unfit, and everything in between.  You can adjust to what works for you, but only eat if you are hungry!  My husband is learning this concept.  :)
          • Set reminders on your phone (I recommend your phone's built-in alarm, or a to-do app like Wunderlist 2 for Android or Awesome Note for iPhone.), post your schedule on the fridge, and get organized.  There are some great resources on the Beachbody Ultimate Reset:  Phase 1 group page on Facebook - SO much good info there!
          I'll be back tomorrow to recap Day 2, but for now, here is the recipe for the dressing I loved today!

          Creamy Garlic Dressing

          Ingredients
          ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
          ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
          3 cloves garlic, crushed
          3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
          2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
          1 tsp. Himalayan salt
          ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
          1 Tbsp. raw honey (or pure maple syrup)

          Directions
          Place oil, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, parsley, salt, mustard, and honey in a blender or food processor; cover with lid. Blend until smooth.
          Refrigerate dressing if not using immediately. If dressing solidifies when cold, hold at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir before serving.

          Nutrition per 2 Tbsp
          Calories: 119
          Total Fat: 11 g
          Saturated Fat: 1 g
          Cholesterol: 0 mg
          Sodium: 235 mg
          Carbohydrate: 6 g
          Fiber: 0 g
          Sugar: 5 g
          Protein: 0 g

          Pin It!

          1 comments :

          1. Trx Suspension Online are nothing but pendants that you can attach to any form of jewelry you like.
            The Cheap Trx straight are also closefitting and make a best fit for the stylish young man.
            They likewise have bogus TRX Suspension Training Sale, which are available on both wholesale and list at pocket friendly rates.
            A revolutionary online retail store with a difference, yes I am talking about the Cheap TRX.
            Be it gifts or trx exercises it provides the essence of style and quality that can't be justified by words.
            Let's just have a look into some of the Trx Workouts that may interest you.
            Most of the TRX Workouts Sale present here are actual collectible jewellery items.
            Possessing a trx straps sale is a matter of pride and a matter of envy for the onlookers.

            ReplyDelete

           
          Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review